Participants will have the chance to participate, practice, and receive feedback in conducting activities to gain immediate training experience. Training techniques such as role playing, leading small group discussions, using guided fantasies, conducting practice sessions, and using audiovisual aids will be demonstrated. Participants will receive all the necessary materials to conduct the TCI training program in their agency.
Participants will be able to:
- Proactively prevent and/or de-escalate a potential crisis situation with a child or young person
- Manage a crisis situation in a therapeutic manner, and, if necessary, intervene physically in a manner that reduces the risk of harm to children and staff
- Process the crisis event with children and young people to help improve their capacity to regulate their emotions and use positive coping strategies
- Effectively deliver TCI training in their agencies
The Team at TACT facilitates updates for those who have successfully completed the Therapeutic Crisis Intervention Train-the-Trainer program.
This update is a program for current TCI certified trainers to maintain accreditation in delivering the Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) curriculum, and must successfully be completed by a TCI Trainer every two years.
This update is a two-day program at which current TCI trainers learn the new additions to the TCI curriculum, Edition 7, focus on trauma-informed intervention strategies, and practice skills.
• identify additions/changes to revised TCI materials
• describe the TCI system
• describe elements of a trauma informed organization
• list spaces within the therapeutic milieu
• describe the skills necessary for effective use of self
• demonstrate emotional first aid and how to avoid a power struggle
• demonstrate restraint techniques
• describe safety issues